8.12.2015

#Off24Street : You're It!

Read Previous Episode 

As I walked in the room I felt their eyes on me, their looks piercing my skin. I was definitely in the snake pit. I hurried to find the quickest seat I could find, the only seat available was dead center. Perfect.  As I sat down I reminded myself what my roommate Toni said. "Show no fear, act like you're the boss". So I stiffened up put on a smirk and said to myself "I run this. Every inch if it."


 I felt my confidence rise, my head lift up, and, dare I say, I actually relaxed? As soon as I started feeling a little better the door swung open and my heart sank. There she was in all her Versace suit glory miss Janice her hair was pulled back in a bun, and her ruby red lips where mesmerizing against her brown skin. I was in awe. She strutted in the room in straight bitch face. The room fell silent the only thing you could here were the taps of her Prada shoes against the marble floor. This woman meant business.


"Good Morning everyone my name is Janice, but I'm sure you already knew that ." She said with a smirk " You are here for one thing and one thing only. To gain knowledge and experience. You do your job well, you might have a chance at a perminate position here. Do it poorly, and good luck getting a job anywhere else."
Was this supposed to be a pep talk or was she trying to make us wet ourselves? I looked around the room and all the faces were the same. Scared shitless.
"You there, come to the front" Janice said pointed one of her boney fingers at me.

*gulp* I looked around the room hoping she wasn't talking to me.  "Come on now I don't have all day." She said rolling her eyes. I quickly jumped up and made my way to the front. She glanced me over  and to my surprise smile. "You will be my assistant for the month, temporarily ofcourse. Your job will be to basically do everything I tell you too. I won't have you scrubbing floors, but coffee runs and little errands. Stuff like that." She said with a coy shrug. 

"Everyone else you will be assisting, well everyone else. Of course I got first picks, but your mentors will be here momentarily, I will assign them to you shortly. As for now sit and talk amongst yourselves. Me and...?"

"Jade" I said.

"Jade! Have some work to do. Come along Jade" Janice said twrilling around on her heels and heading out the door. "Ok jade here's the skinny. We're hosting a huge party tonight at the Grand. Everybody who's anybody will be there, photographers, models, entertainers. Everybody. Your job tonight will be to keep everyone happy, you know the final touches. In about an 30 minutes there will be a cab downstairs to pick us up and take us to the venue. Have you ever been to the Grand?" She asked 

"No" I huffed trying to keep up with her as we walked down the hallway. 

"Oh you'll love it, I'm sure of it. You better be a party girl dear, because that's all we do here." She said opening the door to her office. "Come on in, no time to waste, the driver is almost here!" 

I walked into her piercing white office, in awe. The view was amazing you could see the entire city skyline from her window. Of course, photos from  all the best parties lined the walls as you entered, everyone from Naomi Campbell to Kanye West was up there.  You name them she's met them. I sat on the white leather couch as she grabbed her jacket off the rack in her office. I didn't quite know what to do, or say, I was dumbfounded. She looks over at me and shakes her head. Not even ten minutes in and she already disapproves.

"What are you waiting for my dear?" She says with a scuff. "Is the driver going to carry you out of here?" She throws her army green jacket around her shoulders and starts for the door. 

"I'm sorry, I--" I stammered quickly getting up and following her our the door. 

"Oh, I hope you're not one of those people." She says as we walk down the hallway. "Always apologizing when you've done absolutely nothing wrong. Listen sweety, no one's apologizing to you or upset with you. Life apologizes for no one so never apologize for what you do. If you want to sit, sit. But don't cry when life passes you by. Now hurry up, I won't be late because of you." 

And with we hoped in the car and made our way to the Grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment