8.24.2015

Artist Spotlight: Frida Kahlo


I'll admit I never knew much about Frida Kahlo. I've seen her picture and I think I read about her once in school. I do know that every time I saw her, I saw that brow and I wondered why she never waxed it. But after watching her biopic 'Frida' I get it. Her  brow was who she was, what made her so unique it was a part of her self she saw herself as beautiful flaws and all.

She was an amazing woman a true visionary wise beyond her years and decades past her time. Her art depicts her life, from the trolley wreck that left her paralyzed when she was younger, to her regaining her ability to walk again years later.  Only to have it ripped from under her at old age due to gangreen.



Her life was a party, and she lived. You can see her life story all through her paintings if you stop and look, not with your eyes but with your soul. She truly inspired me tonight, truly. She was so unapologetic,  her determination to become an artist was unheard of.

Her passion for life even on her death bed was a amazing putting her bed on wheels to attend her first exhibit in her country Mexico when her doctor told her she had to stay in bed. I am in awe and pure admiration. Her art, is a marvel in itself. Take a look for yourself and please view the movie on Netflix.  If you are an art lover like I am (and love a good movie with a strong female lead) then you'll enjoy this movie.






No comments:

Post a Comment