2.08.2015

The All Inclusive Guide To Magical World of Primer


I got a comment on my beauty favorites post from one of my readers about the smashbox primer hoping that it would be good for her skin. I know she's not the only one looking for a great primer for her skin type. Luckily your friendly neighborhood make up artist(me) is coming to the rescue! I've found that primer is probably one of the most neglected steps in make up,why? Because most people don't know what the heck they are looking for, So here is another all inclusive guide to primers.

Let's answer some of the most common questions about primers:
Why Do you Need A Primer? Imagine painting your house and you don't primer to prime your walls. You see all the old paint underneath, as well as all the cracks. Also you use twice as much paint just to have it fade in a few years. Same thing happens when you don't use a primer on your face. Your makeup is gone by mid day. Not to mention you use twice as much foundation just too have it gone in a few hours. In short want to look flawless all day? Get primer!



What primer should I get?

Oily/Combination skin?: Get a primer that has more of a silicon feel to it, and is transparent. If you're oily and have redness, get a redness serum First Aid Beauty has and amazing one called Anti Redness Serum! That way you treat the redness while you prim. But of course green primer works for mild redness.

Dry Skin: Lotion-y feeling primer is great for your skin, also too get that dewy look get a radiance primer that's going to give your skin a nice glow. Primers that have more of a pink or lilac color or yellow tone to it to add more glow.

As far as normal skin type goes it depends on what you like and what kind of finish you want, So have fun lucky girl you can from choose them all.

What Types of Primers Do I need?

One primer doesn't prime all. There are 3 basic primers. Face primer, Eyelid Primer, and Lip Primers,
You really only need eye and face primer because you can substitute chapstick for your lips.

They've also come out with mascara primers, These are good for lengthening and making the eyelashes appear thicker. These are great if you have thin lashes or want to make your lashes look thicker. There aren't different types(yet). So you want to focus on the brush, thinner brushes are mainly for lengthening, if the brush is thick you could be prone to clumping. Remember use a very small amount. And no these don't prevent clumping or make the mascara waterproof, just length and volume.

Eye primers are good if you want your eyeshadow to hold all day and not crease or disappear. One thing I want to make sure that you know is if you run your eyes during the day no amount of primer is going to keep it on. You have to stop rubbing your eyes. It sounds like common knowledge but you'd be surprised how many times people have asked me if primers do that. Primers holds the makeup from oil and sweating, anything else is fair game.



There are 3 types of eye primers.
Matte, Normal, and Shimmery.

If you get a normal primer that doesn't have a finish to it you'll be covered no matter what eye look that you do,

However matte eyeshadows are really only good if you want a super matte look, like a really dark smokey eye. And no, matte eyeshadow doesn't keep your eyes more dry than any other eyeshadow.

Shimmery Eyeshadow is great for you girls and guys who love glitter it adds extra shine and helps the glitter stay on better.

Now I know alot of people are using lip gloss as an eyeshadow primer for loose glitter looks. I'm not against being innovative, but lip glosses are extremely greasy and it will not help your eyeshadow stick any better,

It's great to use if you're doing a quick look for pictures and stuff like that, but if you're going out get ready for creases galore! Smashbox 24 hour wear primer is amazing cure for you if you want it too stay all night, glitter or not. Most importantly if your eyes sweat or get oily it won't feel like gunk on your eyelids!

When do I use primers?

Everytime you put of foundation or eyeshadow. Go through your normal skincare routine (make sure you moisturize)  and apply a fingertip full of primer to the face. Make sure your focusing on the cheeks and forehead area. I like too let mine sit for a little bit (2-3 minutes) before I apply my foundation just to make sure everything is fully absorbed.

You could only use a primer just to perfect the skin or add a glow, and not put a foundation over it. Also you don't need one if you're wearing a tinted moisturizer. You can still wear one underneath it's accessive, Also if you're wearing a BB or CC cream then of course you don't have too because it's already in there.

I hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to email me here, or contact me on my twitter or fb page. I love to hear from you.


9 comments:

  1. I have misplaced my Smashbox primer, and I am beside myself. I know the minute I buy a new one (and they aren't cheap), I'll find it. Great list of primers you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worse! I hate losing makeup. You could go to sephora and get the mini makeup primers they have in the beauty to go size they're 15 I think.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a thorough tutorial/review! This would be extremely helpful to both a beginner or otherwise. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading I hope you continue to! :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes! My friends think I am crazy that I always insist on wearing a primer! It fills out your skin and makes your makeup go on much smoother!
    I love how you explained which types are better for which skin types and all the types of primers you can get! Even as someone experienced with make-up, the selection can often be overwhelming!
    Renee C.
    seetheworldinpink.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading I hope you continue too! I also have a guide on foundation as well!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for writing this post, it was super helpful! I was using silicony primer for the longest time and it took awhile for me to realize that it was not the right type for me since I have dry skin! I switched to a lotiony type primer and that has helped so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes lotiony primers are always good! You should try the one from Kat Von D it's soo hydrating and since it's made for more full coverage foundation it mattifies very well!

      Delete
    2. yes lotiony primers are always good! You should try the one from Kat Von D it's soo hydrating and since it's made for more full coverage foundation it mattifies very well!

      Delete