8.18.2015

I Do This For Basquiat



I was both happy and slightly upset to see this shirt in Forever 21 the other day. The shirt is simple and black, which I love, and it features the name of an artist I enjoy named Basquiat. Now you may wonder why am I upset to see an artist that I like name on a shirt in a popular retail store? Wouldn't I be glad that he is getting recognition? Yes, and no. 


People aren't buying this shirt because they know who Basquiat is,they're buying it because it's a funny name on a shirt. Or maybe it's the design. Who knows.  It's kind of like how people get upset that you where a shirt that says '90's baby' but don't know Mya ft Blackstreet 'Take Me There' from the Rugrats movie, or the theme song to Fresh Prince Of BelAir . Like you know nothing about it  yet you walk around acting as if you know all about it. That's why it bugged me.

I'm not some snooty art buff, but I do have appreciation for great artists, and he was great. Here's some of his work if you don't know who he his. 
As you can tell he was strongly influenced by Andy Warhol as well as Picasso with a graffiti artist edge. He was around the time of that whole Studio 56 era. And yes he was amazing.
 I kinda wish I was born back in that era, but I'd probably be dead now. Oh well, I would love to hear the stories they have.

Photo by : Basquiat.com , fuckyeahbasquiat.tumblr.com,thehydramag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment